Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Raw wool. From the beast.

There's something really magical about wool. I love the warmth of it- you can feel it heating the moment you touch it and it begins to capture your body heat. I also love the smell if the field, the bits of stray hay (not so much the bits of manure, though!).

I was able to purchase this huge fleece from a farmer I admire greatly. She runs a grass fed beef and meat farm in the Ann Arbor area. Her animals are healthy and humanely treated. I really admire her. She also happens to have sheep- mainly heritage breeds- and so I buy her wool. This fleece came from a Navajo Churro, an ancient and wild breed. It was enormous, and it was a mess. In the end though, it felted into this wonderful, shaggy, textural rug. Or throw. I'm not sure I could put it on the floor. I just want to curl up into it. Dd I mention it's that big?

2 comments:

  1. I love this rug Meagan!!! It is a work of art...Wow! You must be so pleased with how it turned out. You did a beautiful job...It is absolutely marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn. It's human sized. I feel like a cat when I curl up on it!

    ReplyDelete